Tuesday, April 22, 2014

A JOURNEY TO INDIA  I
April 22, 2014 
From the magical romance of the Taj Mahal, the world's most beautiful (material) gift of love,
 to the vibrant hues of Varanasi;
 from the majestic tigers of Bandhavgarh, Kahna and Pench 
to the tranquil serenity at the foothills of the great Himalayas...
and all the chaos, crowds and cacophony of sounds and aromas enveloping me, India has filled my heart with memories for a lifetime!
After traveling for almost 24 hours, it surprised me that it didn't take long to become fully engaged in the chaos of DELHI. This mega-city is home to nearly 18 million people and seemingly as many travelers...the majority of whom are Indian. Nice to see the people of India touring their own country!! Delhi is well stocked with treasures from the Mogul era (early 1500's,) including CHADNI CHOWK, a sprawling open-air market that's been operating since the 17th century. As our rickshaw puttered down the threadlike alleys that link the market in a tangled web, I was overwhelmed by the smells... coriander, turmeric and paprika-everything all mixed together! And then, there were the bazaars, selling everything from jewelery to spices, flowers, saris, food, rugs...even a street dentist! It was hectic, colorful and a completely thrilling sensory overload. 





















We went from opulent palace hotels smelling of rosewater to filthy streets covered with refuse and wandering cows.





Then, on to VARANASI, my favorite part of my entire India experience. Varanasi, India's holiest city... Hindu... that's altogether indescribable!  It, too, is home to multi-millions of residents with as many pilgrims and holy men...all journeying to bathe in or cremate their departed loved ones along banks of the most polluted river in the world, the GANGES.  The Ganges is the focus of all activity in this holy city...daily festivals and ceremonies to bless, give thanks, mourn...and perform life's daily tasks like bathing, tooth-brushing, washing clothes, shaving...it all happens here with audiences and participants numbering in the millions...mind-numbing to observe and be part of. Finally, amongst these enormous throngs of people, there are the required skills (for the tourist) of dodging cows (and their dung,) bicycles, rickshaws and motorcycles, while trying to watch where you're going as well as taking it all in...not for the faint of heart!!!


  


































Please continue on to Part II of my journey...(by clicking on Older Posts)
Namaste!
xox,
abbyj 




 

3 comments:

  1. What incredibly dramatic photos! I felt sensory overload looking at them; I can't imagine what it must have been like being there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow these are excellent colorful intriguing photographs! Makes me want to know the story behind the people. Almost makes me want to visit India! Definitely wants to make me have tea with Abby! Love you girl friend!!! Sanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you guys are up too. This sort of clever work
    and reporting! Keep up the awesome works guys I've
    incorporated you guys to my personal blogroll.

    Here is my blog post - smash bandits hack

    ReplyDelete