Thursday, February 11, 2016

PHILADELPHIA ART 
February 11, 2016 
 
This is what our day here in Central New York  looks like...it's called "lake effect snow" and usually dumps more than several inches of snow!! It certainly is pretty...

As many times as I've been to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in my 73 years of life, I never realized what an art-rich city it is! Had a wonderful visit with my cousins just outside of the city and they were kind enough to take a day to show me the street art for which Philadelphia is famous. They patiently waited in the car or came with me as I documented some of them with my camera. You can see one of our first stops on the wall behind their car...
These extraordinary mosaic creations are made by an artist named ISAIAH ZAGAR and you can find out about this unique artist with this link... http://www.mosaicartnow.com/tag/isaiah-zagar/ He creates his installations using nontraditional materials such as folk art statues, found objects, bicycle wheels, colorful cut glass bottles, handmade tiles and thousands of glittering mirrors. His work can be found on more than 200 public walls throughout the city of Philadelphia as well as around the world. Here are some that I saw...







This is Isaiah Zagar today!

 
I've only seen art similar to this once before...on our recent trip to China. In a town called Tainjin, there was a place called THE PORCELAIN HOUSE. 
You can read about it if you go to this link...
http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/the-fragile-porcelain-house-of-tianjin.html 
Here are some photos I took of China's Porcelain House...


Created by a 54 year old porcelain collector from Tainjin, Zhang Lianzhi, he spent 4 years decorating an old house with hundreds of millions of ancient porcelain fragments and tons of natural crystals. Some of the porcelain pieces Zhang used date back to dynasties from AD618.

Additional street art my cousins showed me were wonderful creations. Here are some of those...





Special thanks to my cuzzies for a great weekend: good food, good talks, good shopping... and for proudly showing me their city's wonderful street art! I look forward to my next visit... 

Enjoy your weekend, dear ones...see you for my next posting?

Big Hugs,
abbyj

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed these pics. I love building art. I'm looking forward to seeing some in St Petersburg FL when I go in two weeks. By the way, we're having lake effect snow here today, too (different lake, I know). What do people who don't live by a great lake do for extra snow?

    ReplyDelete