Monday, July 31, 2017

KENYA'S ANIMAL WONDERLAND: THE MAASAI MARA
JULY 2017

The Maasai Mara in Kenya is not a national park, but rather a National Reserve belonging to the Maasai people.
The main attraction of this game reserve is, of course, game viewing of resident animals...and there are sooooo many. Eye-candy wherever you look! There are lion, leopard, elephant, zebra, buffalo, giraffe, Thomson's gazelle (who leap as they run,) hyena, rhino (though few and very hard to see because of all the poaching,) hippo and the thousands of migrating wildebeest that makes the park so famous...an absolute smorgasbord of creatures one may normally see in a zoo (if it's a good zoo) and then some!  I was out with my guide, Felix Wambugu, from morning 'til night with a few hours break in the hottest part of the day when the animals are sleeping, anyway! So much to learn...such interesting activities as we watch each animal group interact...
Here's a brief photo essay on some of my sightings...
























Gathering of zebra and wildebeest getting ready to migrate across the crocodile-infested Mara River. How many will make it?




















This was a curious site...seeing a zebra scratch an itchy belly... :)








Although I adore Africa for the people, every few years, I need my "animal fix." Kenya's Maasai Mara certainly satisfied that craving. Thanks Felix!

Please stop by for my next posting...stay well!

Big Hugs,
abbyj


2 comments:

  1. I've been on safaris in South Africa and in Tanzania; now you make me want to go to Kenya. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Abby! Makes me want to return! Did you visit the David Sheldrick elephant orphanage in Nairobi? That's where I really fell in love with ellie's!
    Were u on an organized safari??

    ReplyDelete