Wednesday, May 18, 2011

ORVIETO, ITALY in Umbria

PHOTOGRAPHS OF ORVIETO 
May 18, 2011 
ORVIETO, in the heart of Umbria (and neighbor to the Tuscany region of Italy,) is a most spectacular place in a quiet way. Reread my posting, "Can't Wait to Get Back to Blogging"  (Returning from Italy) of May 14th...that'll explain many of the photos. It's impossible to walk ANYWHERE and NOT want to snap a photo...
That's Orvieto...up in the sky, perched on a rock...a GINORMOUS rock

...on the street where I lived...convent entrance by the red car

A view of the convent once you enter its doors

One of several centuries-old frescoes in the convent's non-functioning, ancient kitchen
My personal angel, on 24/7 guard duty outside my bedroom window

Etruscan Cave interiors near the convent, but they're scattered throughout the town...UNDER ALL the homes and buildings




After ringing the bell, heard throughout the town, each hour on the hour for centuries, this fellow's STILL not tired. He's atop a tower adjacent to the spectacular Gothic striped Duomo (pictured above this bell ringer.)







 Believe me...the streets aren't as empty as they seem in the photos...I just waited for the split second when I could get the best shot...showing it all, with no blocked areas. It took some doing... There were some great views to be had looking down from "the rock" of Orvieto, into the valley, 700 feet below as well as at the surrounding mountains...
Nearby vineyards...


 Finally, one of my favorite things...in addition to my daily dose of chocolate orange peel gelato and thick hot chocoate... TRUFFLES...mixed into pasta, shaved on steak...it IS manna from heaven!! This is a truffle...a rare type of mushroom...TARTUFO- incredibly expensive, but worth every euro!!
 Thanks for joining me on this journey...I leave you with a sunset view out of my convent window...
Looking forward to seeing you next time!
XOX,
abbyj 

No comments:

Post a Comment