Wednesday, October 26, 2011

POETRY and CHALLENGES

THE INFINITE POSSIBILITY OF YOU... 
October 26, 2011 

'Magician with words has my admiration"

ZENA JOHN, writer, poet, friend
I boarded the plane in Johannesburg, South Africa... that's where I connected for my ongoing inter-Africa flight to visit friends in East London, (South Africa.) Armed with my reading material as well as my laptop, I settled into my seat. A very pretty young woman was sitting next to me... she looked to be someone with whom I wouldn't have minded talking during the flight. Oftentimes... not always... I enjoy talking with my seat mate (especially in foreign countries,) sharing bits and pieces of our respective homelands, families, interests, world views, life philosophies... with THIS young woman, I got so much more than I bargained for- a lifetime friendship! Not only did we enjoy one another, talking non-stop throughout this flight, but when I boarded the plane once again for my return trip to Johannesburg to make another connection, THERE SHE WAS! What are the chances of THAT happening? Once again, we were seat mates and our chattering and sharing continued! 
ZENA JOHN is a gifted writer and poet..she performs magic with her words. Her pieces are heartfelt, honest and sincere. She knows how to express common thoughts and feelings, touching the hearts and souls of her readers, making her expressions the reader's own. With her permission, I'd like to share one of her pieces that I've attempted to illustrate.
 
THE INFINITE POSSIBILITY OF YOU
by Zena John

Conjured up in my moonlit dreamscapes 
A life-pausing glance sideways
At me, out of a face so foreign, so familiar
Imbued in blood-red robes
Scattering my essence into
Congealed memories of a thousand lives

How time fools us
Into amnesiac wonder at the newness of it all
This cosmic waltz my love
Perfected over eons of sequences
Fleshed out in multi-hued incandescence

A newborn wail gloriously erasing consciousness
Pounded into the dark spaces between atoms
Flung into the wall of all my befores
Newness creeps into my awareness
Coating my yesterdays with gritty promises of tomorrow
The now being too heavy with the flood of a thousand lives
Blinked into reality
Unblinked into history
A cosmic whiplash gleefully unleashed by playful gods 

Several of Zena's pieces are included in a soon-to-be-published volume- an anthology. Mine is already pre-ordered! If you're interested, the book is called:

THE GROUND'S EAR- 
Contemporary Verse from South Africa

 A quick look at a couple of challenges...

CRAZY AMIGOS asked artists to work with the theme: REMEMBER...



and COLLAGE OBSESSION was looking for DREAMS and NIGHTMARES to which I quickly responded with yet another of my scariest dreams/nightmares: I grew up in an apartment house eight floors tall. That's not tall compared to big city apartment houses, but even for the eight floors, there was an elevator. Having been stuck in that elevator on several occasions, I often had dreams of falling down the elevator shaft... I must have outgrown that fear as I haven't had a falling dream in many years!  :o)


 Thanks so much for stopping by...hope to see you when I next post...

Hugs,
abbyj

5 comments:

  1. Abby, you've got quite a delightful and meaningful assortment of digital art, as always I enjoy looking at it. xoxo, Aimeslee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for sharing so much with us today! I loved seeing the photo of Zena, reading her poetry, and learning how you two met. Clearly, you were meant to be friends! And your piece based on her poetry is a LOVELY tribute to her.

    Your Crazy Amigos piece made me sad - IN A GOOD WAY. I noticed the old man on the bench. I imagined that the quote was from him...and that he was sad that his body was failing him. There's such a contrast between him and the happy kids that are running in the background. BRAVO.

    Lastly, your piece for Collage Obsession is wonderful. What a scary nighmare, ABBY J! You've illustrated it perfectly. I'm so glad that you don't have that nightmare anymore.

    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed learning a bit about Zena and as always love your art Abby! Those layers are amazing! I see something new every time I glance back...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes life brings us treasures!!!!
    Love your remember AND your nightmare too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abby Dearest,

    I barely recognise myself in the words you use to describe our meeting. I just know that the HONOUR IS MINE in getting to know you and counting you as a friend.
    I still tell tales of your incredible adventures. Fate moves magnificently and the blessings will continue for your good works around the world.

    Now on to your incredible artwork ...
    How to tell you of the extreme and humble joy I feel when I see your artistic expression giving form to words I strung together?
    THANK YOU seems paltry for your generous heart and spirit. I just know that you transform lives with how you connect to people, via your art or your life-quest, whether it is city folk, or rural villagers.

    I am enthralled by your own magical artistry, though it does feel surreal to see it this time!

    I love the poignant setting of the enchanted garden, the fragility of the young ladies, their friendship, the reminder that nature has cycles and the beautiful capturing of some of the poem's words. I could go on!

    Your theme on remembering hauntingly captured, with the lost innocence of the little girl so vividly contrasted with the decaying world around her.
    The playful kids and the old man in the park was a wonderful reminder about the cyclical nature of life.
    I salut your bravery in confronting old fears and transforming them into artistic expressions.
    Quite inspirational to me ...

    Hugs and loves
    Zena

    ReplyDelete