Thursday, May 31, 2012

FRIENDS, STAMPS, BLUE and THAILAND 
May 31, 2012 


"I wanted to be Prima Ballerina!"
Inspired by challenge art blog THREE MUSES, my 6-word memoir this week flashes back to my much younger years when I knew what I wanted to be...I became a TV producer instead! 

The TAKE A WORD challenge art blog invited participants to create art around the theme, FRIENDS. It was my pleasure to do so!  

  
COLLAGE OBSESSION was in a BLUE mood this week...

Finally, the year-long ART and SOLE POSTCARD CHALLENGE 2012 took us on a virtual journey to Thailand. Quite a distance for us to travel from England, but nonetheless different and exciting. Nicknamed the LAND of SMILES, Thailand is approximately the size of France. Called Siam until 1939, Thailand is known for it's orchids, fish and fish products and it's a major exporter of rice for the world. It's a kingdom that was never colonized by a European power...the only country in South East Asia that wasn't! The main religion is Buddhism...95% of its residents are practicing Buddhists. 



Some unusual facts about the country... 
*Every Thai male is expected to become a monk at some point in his life... it doesn't have to be a permanent commitment. 
*Not wearing underwear can land you in jail!
*It's not unusual to see entire families riding on a motorbike (if they don't have a car.)
*It's not unusual to find a roll of toilet paper on the table in a restaurant...they're the paper napkins!
*One of the favorite desserts is ice cream between two slices of bread...their version of the ice cream sandwich! 

Thank you for joining me this week. I wish you a peaceful, happy week ahead. Hope to see you next week when we'll travel to yet another new country...  

Hugs,
abbyj   

14 comments:

  1. LOL...obviously I didn't go to the same Thailand that you did Abby.We DID have paper napkins on the tables.
    Love your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abby!! Lovely post and gorgeous artwork. Especially love the one with the letter and the two girls walking. Hope you're doing well! Miss you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to be a ballerina, too (until my second year of dance lessons interfered with playing dress up with my friends). I think my favorite pice of this post is your "friends" image. the blue image is very evocative. The Thai images are exotic and charming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous postcard. Love all your research.

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. great card, love that little cutie writing..and all those stamps are fabulous. Had to laugh at the toilet roll on the tables but I totally agree with making people wear underwear lol and proper underwear at that, not those bits of string that young girls wear lol ...jeez I sound like my mother..

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely postcard also good research. interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cards, love the extra info you have shared. A xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your work, it's got depth and meaning. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed ALL your art, Abby...(your stamp ballerina is a true winner). I also enjoyed the quirky little details about Thailand! Thanks for participatinig in our challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your Thailand-card! The little facts are so interesting to learn! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely postcard front and back. I like the ballerina too.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab collage of images this week and interesting facts! the toilet roll made me smile... M

    ReplyDelete