Friday, November 8, 2013

VERY MIXED BAG
November 8, 2013
 
WhooHoo! We had our first light dusting of snow this morning, but it's melted by now. Not worried...I know there's lots more to come! Has it snowed  yet in your part of the world?
 
This week, there's a variety of art requested by the online challenge blogs...all fun to create...like this one for INSPIRATION AVENUE. I remember venturing up to my Aunt's attic... always an adventure to see what surprises I could find...

SUNDAY POSTCARD ART asked to see art with a map... I imagined a picture of Central Park in New York City... in the snow, to make it season-appropriate for the Big Apple. If you look carefully, there's a map of the streets of New York beneath Central Park! You can see it if you click on the picture to enlarge it!
THE THREE MUSES requested a piece of art with a grungy background...my favorite! I used a photo of  the daughter of friends who dressed as a zombie for Halloween. Who would guess that in her alive life, she's a beautiful, bright high school girl?
Finally, for FLICKER's DIGITALMANIA group, we took our inspiration from the art of Joseph Christian Leyendecker, artist and illustrator. He did many magazine covers...a bit like Norman Rockwell. Having an ongoing fascination with the Roma (Gypsy) populations of the world, I turned to my stash of Gypsy pictures and photos. Many Roma men do work in the repairing and building trade.
Many thanks for your company this week... I hope you'll return for my next!
 
Have a good weekend and week ahead!
Hugs,
abbyj



9 comments:

  1. A fabulous collection, Abby. I live in a part of the world where it never snows and winters are mild so I am fascinated with the idea of snow. Here, summer has arrived in the last month of spring with temperatures sometimes over 100degF. I love your picture of a New York street with light snow falling, the great grunge take on this week's challenge at the Muses and the wonderful magazine cover for DM. I really enjoy strolling (or scrolling) through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the idea of using the street map in your postcard, Abby - thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great array of art! You've been very busy. We had our first snow in early October, but it didn't last and we haven't had any since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your mixed bag, every one. I always wished I had a relation with an attic full of interesting old objects, and yours is a lovely attic scene. Clever use of the map, it made me search the picture. And the picture of the gypsy repairman brought back memories of childhood. We lived in a fairly isolated place, and I remember the gypsies (which is what they were known as then) coming around selling wooden clothes pegs, the women asking my mum to 'cross my hand with silver' in exchange for a fortune telling. Then there were the knife sharpeners and the tinners. The tinners would mend holes in aluminium pans, kettles and buckets by placing a square of metal each side of the hole with a small nut and bolt holding them in place. We would often have tramps knocking on the door and my mum would always give them something to eat. What memories from your lovely sepia journal page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your art is great, Abby! I was responding to the Muses challenge, but looking at all of your art is quite a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, I enjoyed my sojourn through your art work of the week! Your daughter was a beautiful zombie! I enjoy your talent, Abby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the mixed array of art this week! The attic image is my favorite. I'd love to dig around in your aunt's attic-the face in the mirror is a wonderful addition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your array of artwork this week is intriguing. I love your aunt's attic image-the face in the mirror is such a wonderful addition.

    ReplyDelete