Wednesday, August 19, 2015

THE THREE MUSES 
August 19, 2015 

Hi Dear Family and Friends,
This is the first summer in a decade that I haven't spent  part of my days in Africa...I'm missing it, but I was just there in January! Will return next year...soooo looking forward to visiting with extended family once again as well as making new friends.
When online art challenge group, THE THREE MUSES declared this week's theme for our creations to be "background with text,"  my thoughts turned to the Dark Continent.  I recalled a trip to Ethiopia where I spent a while with a tribe called the SURI. They are true artists...even the children...using natural elements for personal adornment: florals as well as minerals found in the ground to paint themselves and the things they make.  Here's the piece I created using my photo of a new friend...a chief's wife.
We spoke easily through a translator, despite her lip plate. Here are some more photos of these beautiful and interesting people...



Thank you for checking in. Hope you enjoyed a peek into the art of Ethiopia's Suri tribe. Please stop by for my next posting...

Hugs, abbyj 

3 comments:

  1. Amazing photos those disks look so painful but it is very interesting, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Da weiss ich gar nicht, was ich dazu schreiben soll. Ich bekomme den Mund vor lauter Staunen nicht mehr zu!
    Herzlich Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  3. What elegant people! Their sense of beauty is unique and amazing.

    ReplyDelete