Sunday, July 30, 2017

BENEATH THE AFRICAN SUN
July, 2019

It's all about family...this annual journey I make to Ethiopia for the past 15 years. In that time, I've seen so many changes...in my two adopted families, in their village as well as the area in which they live and the neighboring tribes of the Omo River Valley. Foreign investors have come in and the Lower Omo Valley is being parceled out and converted to huge farms to benefit foreign interests, taking away the traditional lands of the people, bit by bit. The government has also built a dam to regulate the water flow of the people's main water source...the water they depend on to grow their food...their source of life! 
Indigenous Omo River cultures have been living  self-sustaining lives for hundreds of years. Now, there's a steady decline in the possibilities for their future. Where will they be 10 years from now...or even 5? I'm anxious about this, even as I visit comfortably with these special people and their friends whom I love...who have been welcoming me into their lives and their hearts for 15 years. 
I offer this visual scrapbook...the latest installment from my visit earlier this month...

The charter flight of 2 hours then jeep ride of several hours to reach the Kara tribal camp.
This, following a 17 hour flight from my home...
 Our very comfortable campsite along the Omo River...a ten minute walk from the Kara village.
Village women making a water run...






Interesting how household items are stored within the tree branches...
 

Buno and her family


Buno's married daughter and her family
 

Along the Omo River, the banks are very steep...cliff-like, and a challenge to the local women who must gather water several times a day...all the while, being very careful of the sneaky crocodiles always lurking nearby, ready to strike!


Walla, her husband Dido and the rest of the family...cousins, aunts, uncles


Walla and yours truly




The main Kara village of Dus. There was a great deal of rain recently, so the children loved playing in the giant puddles!!
This is Buno's ABBY...now 5 years old






Slaughtering a goat and cooking it is a way to welcome a guest or family member from afar



Omo River view

This is Walla's ABBY, now 8 years old
Here's Walla
Walla and her husband, Dido
Dido decorating his knife...he's the family artist









This is Buno's son-in-law and the leader of the dance for as long as I can remember. The body paint the men and women wear is like the make up our modern day women wear. They use minerals from the ground...red ochre and white chalk, to create intricate designs on their faces and bodies. They do it to appear more visually appealing as well as to intimidate rivals.


























The first part of my journey..."berra key wappy" (see you later)...'til next year, dear ones. Stay well...stay strong!

Thanks for checking in...I know it's been a long time between postings. In a couple of days, I'll post my visual journal for my visit to the Maasai Mara...THE animal wonderland in Kenya. Stay tuned.

Big Hugs,
abbyj


1 comment:

  1. Your photos are amazing. They're beautiful and they capture character and personality, as well as a life style. I hope there are many more of thee trips ahead for you and for them. It's heartbreaking to watch a way of life in danger.

    ReplyDelete