Thursday, March 28, 2013

ARTFUL READERS CLUB 
MARCH BOOK: 
The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch
March 29, 2013


Greetings Artful Readers Club Friends! My book selection for this month is by German writer and filmmaker, Oliver Potzsch. Its title is... THE HANGMAN'S DAUGHTER.

Taking us back in history to a time when autopsies were blasphemous, coffee was an exotic drink, dried toads were the recommended remedy for the plague and the devil was as real as your neighbor, THE HANGMAN'S DAUGHTER brings to life the sights, sounds and even the smells of 17th century, medieval Bavaria. The book captures the ugliness of  a time when herbal remedies and medical knowledge were feared as works of the Devil, women were tortured and burned at the stake as witches to "keep the peace," and people were generally distrusting, unsanitary and very superstitious. The small trading village of  Schongau, Bavaria (a real place near the Alps and the Lech River,) comes alive in this historical thriller. Schongau has seen 30 years of war and witch hunts. It's run by first families and a last name meant the difference between poverty and privilege.
The complex hangman is my favorite of the richly portrayed characters in the book- Jakob Kuisl is very lethal, but also a trusted healer ...compassionate, caring, intelligent and clear-thinking, but he's considered a social outcast because he's "the hangman." This multi-faceted man  turns detective to protect a woman he believes to be innocent of witchcraft...so starts the mystery. His investigative partner (the second main character) is Simon Fronwieser, a young, university-trained, aspiring physician whose father is a physician as well, but his old ways are no longer effective. The third main character...and I use the term "main" loosely...is Magdalena, the hangman's daughter. I still can't figure out why the author titled the book as he did because Magdalena had little to do with the action and drama in this novel. Perhaps it should have been called simply THE HANGMAN or THE HANGMAN and THE DEVIL!!  :)
I love that the author is a descendent of a long line of Bavarian executioners, the Kuisl family (as in the book,) and that he was inspired by genealogy and family lore to write THE HANGMAN'S DAUGHTER. But I felt that the substance of the book didn't justify its length. Toward the end of the book, I found myself skimming pages and, interestingly, didn't lose the thread of the story. Some of the descriptions were exhausting and superfluous. That aside, I did enjoy the book...just didn't love it. Don't think I'd recommend it, but I AM going to read the next in the series...go figure!!

Hope to see you the last Friday of next month for a review of my next book...THE TIGER'S WIFE by Tea Obreht.

My regular blog posting will be up in a few days.
Thanks for stopping by...

Hugs,
Abbyj

21 comments:

  1. I've read books like that, too, where the pages seemed to go on forever, and I skimmed and skipped ahead without losing much content. I appreciate your honest review of this work, and like you, wonder where the title came from.

    I truly enjoyed your artistic interpretation of the book through your lovely collage. It was spooky and very telling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're earning my funny with your last sentence, don't recommend it but will read part two! :)
    Your Art is beautiful, a bit scary but still. I've been looking at it for at least five minutes to find how many layers there are... ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I haven't read The Hangman's Daughter yet. Well, your review fixed that and I've added it to my to-be-read list.

    P. S. I see The Book Thief on your shelf, it's one of my favorite books of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of when I read "...And Peace;" I skipped through all the battles and War passages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very informative and honest review. I do not think this book would be for me but I love your complex and slightly gruesome collage for the book. Why do some authors go over the top with descriptive narrative? Totally unnecessary and spoils the flow of the story.

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite your reservations I do like the sound of this book, and your collage artwork is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pleasure to read your review, so beautifully written (and having read your profile I can see why). I looked at this book on Kindle, and wondered about it, but decided not to buy it. Your review has confirmed that I probably made the right decision, even though it sounds such an interesting read on the whole, so I appreciate that!
    Your artwork is very powerful, and seems to fit so well with the story-line.
    I've been looking back at previous blogposts, and think your art is amazing.
    I look forward to your next review, but I'll be back before then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a very interesting read! I would like to read it after I finished this years book list I just need to find out why you aren't recommending this :) Love the art that you created from the read.
    ManonX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review, isn't it odd when we don't love a book but feel we have to read the next one lol I guess curiosity justs gets the better of us. love the background blotches and drips you achieved in the art gives it so much dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha....now that is a review! I think many of us face similar dilemmas when it comes to recommending, but your opening paragraphs make it sound very intriguing. Love your combination of images :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a totally intriguing book. And I love the collage!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Gina, your opening paragraph really does paint an intriguing picture of the trials and tribulations of living in the dark ages. Such a shame that you were skip reading by the end of the book but by the sound of it nothing was lost in doing so! Great collage which certainly conveys a deep and dark mystery buried within!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant review! Love your artwork too. Think I will pass on this one, long winded books are not my cuppa tea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm torn now as to whether I want to read it. The subject matter sounds really interesting but, like you say, overly long descriptions annoy me.

    Your art is gorgeous (and further makes me wonder about the book) I just love everything about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Abby for this very interesting review...I absolutely love the art you created that was inspired by Hangman's Daughter...the colors and images are so moody & sullen. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review probably not the book for me though. Your art work is super.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review. The book sounds interesting. I enjoy historical fiction. Your artwork is stunning. Thanks for the review. Michelle V.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmmm, pretty sure I have this book on my kindle - will be interesting to see if I agree with your review! Great artwork too. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. An interesting book by the sounds Abby... don't think that I have heard of that one before... and love your gorgeous artwork... wonderful layers...

    Jenny ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds interesting if a little long winded. Your artwork is stunning.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. The art you have created has so much depth ... I loved staring at it. Not sure the book is for me (you def didn't sell it!) but glad your inspiration created the art!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete