Thursday, May 30, 2013

ARTFUL READERS CLUB: MAY
May 30, 2013
 
 

 
Greetings to all those who love to read! It's the last Friday of the month, time for all participants in the ARTFUL READERS CLUB to post their May book reviews and art. I don't know what led me to choose this book...perhaps my interest in religion, culture and medieval times. In any case, I'm thrilled I chose it... SACRED HEARTS by Sarah Durant.
 
Today, a woman can be single, have a career and a joy-filled life. But in the 16th century, many aristocratic Italian families, able to afford only one hefty dowry, would lead one daughter into an arranged marriage and force the other young woman to take the veil.
It's 1570 in the Italian city of Ferrara and the Convent of Santa Caterina is filled with women who are married to Christ out of choice or because they weren't marriage material for one reason or another. Enter 16 year-old Serafina (with the singing voice of an angel, by the way!) The convent's newest novice, (incarcerated by her family for her illicit love affair with her voice instructor,) is introduced to the reader as she's howling with rage and hormones, determined to escape. But Serafina's rebellion is not like that of the other girls: heart wrenching, relentless and ultimately explosive, the disruption she creates sets off a series of events that grow to involve the "apothecary mistress" with her healing potions and herbs, the worldly, political Mother Superior and the ambitious, fiercely devout "novice mistress" who watches over her flock of young recruits like a soldier of the Lord. Each  aspires to influence Serafina's path. But as they struggle to subdue the passion in the wayward girl's rebellious soul, each finds she must come to terms with the sorrows, lost hopes and decisions of her own past as well as the unstoppable changes bearing down on the Convent from outside the great cloistered walls- the religious dictates of the Counter Reformation that was beginning to purge the Catholic Church and impose terrible oppression on the nunneries.
SACRED HEARTS is an extraordinary journey into a world we rarely see, a place where women sacrificed their personal desires and dreams because they were "called" to do so or it was imposed upon them. It's rich in historical detail and full of interesting characters, treachery, lies, medicinal herbs, love and heartfelt decisions. Who knew that the life of a nun could be so exciting? If you love the Renaissance period of history and medieval times...or just a tale of human drama...I highly recommend SACRED HEARTS by Sarah Durant!
 
Thanks for stopping by. I hope this book interests you... Please check back for my regular posting of LIFE: THE VIVERE in a few days.
 
 
Big Hugs,
abbyj


16 comments:

  1. I'm not completely sure this is the book for me, but, based on your review, I would love to read it. Your take on this book made me believe how much you enjoyed this tale. Your words resonated with the passion only a person who loved a book could. Great review and beautiful digital imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent book review, make me want to get the book. I enjoy books about nuns; I think there must be a minor genre of historically set nun books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words make me want to read the book. I perked up a bit when I read "howling with rage and hormones." It sounds like the book is vivid enough to take us to the 16th century... I might travel soon!

    I love the determination in the eyes of your the lady in your art. Her defiance is high on the brow, and she does not look very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh. This book is really intriguing. Love your review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your artwork is captivating as is your review. I have not heard about Sacred Hearts until now. This book will definitely go on my growing list of items I would like to read. Thank you so much! Angela K. Orobko (aka Doc Angi)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the review! You are infectious with enthusiasm for this read! Glad you enjoyed it and love your art. It makes for a great book cover to make me pick this one up! Happy ARC Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read this book not too long ago and loved it start to finish. As you say, it gives an insight into a closed world we don't get to see. So I would endorse your very good review and encourage others to try it.
    Your artwork is so beautiful and appropriate for the story. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! Your artwork is tremendous! I love the way you used dark and light. I absolutely adore Sarah Dunant's novels. She writes brilliantly, so vivid and she draws the reader into the past so effortlessly. Lovely artwork for a marvellous book! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. this book sounds right up my street, it's been added to my ever growing wish list :)

    and I LOVE your accompanying artwork

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful artwork and a really interesting book review. I am very glad I live now and not then!

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you for this wonderful review...I have added this to my list...always love historical novels and you have sold me on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review, it sounds like a very interesting book that I might add to my wish list. Fabulous art work.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  13. oo you make being a nun so exciting lol I am so glad i have the choice of how I live my life. Gorgeous shadows and felections in your art. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to read your review, I am certainly glad that I did not live in those times. Your artwork is beautifu.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome collage Abby, and this sounds like a book I for one would totally enjoy :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  16. Most of the time I feel like I was born too late but after your review I think I do belong in this time period! :)
    Love all those layers in your Art-piece. It's so pretty! ♥

    ReplyDelete