Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Tale from New York City

December 3rd-5th, 2010

A weekend in New Y0rk City visiting my cousin...always fun. But, something very special this trip!
 
My overall impressions of the Metropolitan Opera House at Lincoln Center


 Most newcomers to opera tend to step into the theater without enthusiasm. It's not surprising...there are many unfounded impressions that have been circulated through the years. So, here's a basic primer on the subject: MADAME BUTTERFLY is not just for girls,  DIE  FLEDERMAUS  has nothing to do with dying mice and opera singers are not just fat ladies wearing horns and braids. Opera is one of the most passionate artforms one can experience. The music, the sets, the ambiance of THE MET...it's all magical and awe-inspiring! Before taking that first journey to the opera house, that leap of faith from the music to which you're accustomed to the experience of something totally different ... shed any prejudices to opera you may have had. Before you go, you may think as did Robert Burns, the Scottish poet (1759-1796):   "Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and instead of dying, he sings."  Once you've experienced a performance, you may be hooked as I am and feel as did famous American Soprano Maria Callas  (1923-1977): "An opera begins long before the curtain goes up and ends long after it has come down. It starts in my imagination, it becomes my life, and it stays part of my life long after I've left the opera house." 



My La Boheme ticket


Lobby view at THE MET



Main staircases in lobby...everything is red velvet
Fabulous chandelier in the lobby...one of many
                                                    Give it a try!
My cousin has a season subscription to the  2010-11 opera series...I'm joining her for several operas throughout the season. I can't wait for my next adventure in music...  XOX, Abbyj
 

3 comments:

  1. WOW! she falls over after enjoying the great photos and sings! Kathy G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so funny, Kath! Nice to begin the day with a smile...thanks for that! Love you, Abbyj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article. I'm dealing with many of these issues as well..


    Feel free to visit my website ... Castle Clash Cheats Hack Tool

    ReplyDelete