Friday, August 30, 2013

ARTFUL READERS CLUB
August book: THE PANTHER by Nelson DeMille
August 30, 2013
 
 
Here we are again...another month has flown by and it's time for an episode of  Art and Sole's Artful Readers Club: this month, my review is  of  THE PANTHER, from espionage/spy novelist... super-writer... Nelson DeMille. I've read and loved most of his books, always looking forward to his newest...they always live up to or go beyond my high expectations!!
 
Anti-terrorist Task Force agent John Corey, along with his FBI agent wife, Kate Mayfield, are in pursuit of THE PANTHER, a known terrorist in Yemen...hotbed of Al Qaeda activity. There's also a sub-plot involving a conspiracy theory where Corey sees both he and his wife as bait: Corey killed an important Libyan terrorist (in DeMille's last book, THE LION,) that earned him a top spot on Al Qaeda's kill list; Mayfield killed a rogue CIA official who had plotted to nuke the Middle East. As they cross the barren deserts of Yemen's hostile environment in their quest to lure THE PANTHER from his lair, the two agents are never sure whether their greatest danger lies ahead or within their own group of armed government agents looking for payback!
The PANTHER is a terrorist born in America and shown to be a religious fanatic. DeMille tries to explore how someone brought up in the USA can turn to terrorism. Too, this book is fascinating because it not only offers a look at the curious country of Yemen, known for its antiquities as well as its terrorism, it also allows the reader to speculate about CIA/FBI anti-terrorist operations and to question what's happening now to protect our borders. 
While the subject of terrorism is frightening, it's reassuring to imagine that government agencies are aware of actions all over the world and are taking steps to insure that safety and human life are preserved. 
I HIGHLY recommend this book if you're a fan of adventure and mystery! DeMille offers very exciting, stressful, edge-of-your-seat reading!!
 
Thanks for checking in...hope you'll return in a few days when I return to art challenges and other goodies.
 
Happy Weekend,
Hugs,
abbyj


9 comments:

  1. I always love the way you combine images to create your art, and this piece is no exception. Your enthusiasm and enjoyment of this book really shines through from your words :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aby, thanks for visiting me earlier and for the lovely comment. I love the art for your novel. It looks like you should try book jacket illustration yourself. Your novel sounded very exciting, if probably not what I would usually choose. Looking at your bookshelf you have read so many of my favourite books! I have to say I find the idea of terrorism and religious fanaticism of any kind, so scary that I would probably not read this novel, though maybe I should. Thanks for sharing. Julie Ann xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit, this is the first book review I have seen that actually made me WANT to read the book. Some sounded interesting, and thought provoking, but your review made me want to grab this book and learn more about the middle east. This is especially true now that so many of my friends have family members stationed in the middle east right now.

    I was also fascinated by your art. I loved the digital collage you created. The faceless images superimposed over maps of the region are haunting and stunning. Well done, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a jolly good read! Fabulous collage of the 'faceless ones'. Always nice to learn something new from a book, and Yemen is a country very few of us know anything about.

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does sound like an exciting read - although very different in subject from the kids of books I usually tackle. Your artwork is really fab - I especially like the piece top left where the map segment extends up into the face in such a way that it seems to suggest the jaw of a skull

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great art work.The individual images are fascinating and stunning when put together. The book sounds exciting.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a very intriguing book. Love what you did for the art. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oo high praise indeed, I am not so much into spy books, but this foes sound fascinating. Perhaps we should all be more aware of what is happening in the world today. Love your photos, especially the script on the middle row.

    ReplyDelete