Friday, May 30, 2014

ARTFUL READERS CLUB
Book Review for May 30, 2014
THE INVENTION OF WINGS by Sue Monk Kidd



If you read and liked Sue Monk Kidd's THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES, you'll love THE INVENTION OF WINGS! Based on a true story, this historical novel tells of Sarah Grimke, the daughter of a wealthy Charleston slave holder and her lifelong rebellion against slavery. In the mid-1800's, for her 11th birthday, Sarah was given ownership of a 10 year old slave girl named Hetty (nicknamed Handful.) Alternating views between these two females...their coming of age... the story follows the pair through 30+ years as they each struggle to escape oppression and find freedom for their bodies, minds and souls. It's about equality! This was GIRL POWER when girl power was unheard of, in the voices of strong women, both black and white! 
But, this is more than a story about the abolition of slavery. It's about women's rights, religious freedom and taking action against injustice whenever and wherever the need arises!
In the author's note, I discovered that Sarah and her sister (and co-crusader) Nina, were real people and it is most accurately THEIR story. Their contribution to the movements to abolish slavery as well as to gain equal rights for women is astounding...thanks to Sue Monk Kidd for honoring the part these sisters played in the betterment of the human spirit!!
This book will make you sad, angry, disgusted, outraged, happy, triumphant...you'll be reminded why slavery is one of the ugliest ideas ever...and you'll be glad that there were those who were strong enough to stand up in protest and make a difference!!

Thanks so much for stopping by...I'm looking forward to reading other reviews for this month and seeing the associated art... 

4 comments:

  1. I like Sue Monk Kidd and will have to give this book a try. Love your collage of the two girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abby! It's been a long time. Miss you around Paper Traders.
    I am almost finished with this book and I LOVE IT! It's a roller coaster ride of emotion. I am from Charleston and so I love my beautiful city but it was built on a lot of terrible pain.
    I haven't heard of the Artful Readers Club before. Sounds interesting. Take care and stop by PT sometime.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your review, Abby. I DID read (and enjoy) "Secret Life of Bees", and I'll be looking for this one, for sure! By the way, have you read "The House Girl" by Tara Conklin? You might like that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how could i subscribe for
    a blog site? The account helped me a acceptable deal.
    I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright
    clear concept

    Feel free to surf to my webpage; Knight n squires Hack

    ReplyDelete